One of my goals for January is to get on an eventing routine. Being on a routine to wind down at the end of the day can aid in falling asleep quicker and having deeper sleep throughout the night. So I thought I’d share with you my evening routine attempt for this month.
- Tidy Room: It’s hard for me to go to sleep with a messy room. Plus one of my habit tracker items this month is cleaning my room. I also light a candle at this point.
- Technology: It’s common knowledge that screens are the worst thing for sleep. But being a Catholic millennial, it’s hard to let them go. But it must be done. So I set my alarm, turn my phone to sleep mode, and plug in my twelve devices on the other side of the room.
- Bathroom Time: I wish I could be disciplined enough to take a nightly bath, my aunt does that. But instead, I brush my teeth, wash my face, and take a shower. I wash my hair twice per week. If I do, I will also blow dry my hair. I also put on one of my favorite products right now, Pacifica’s Wakeup Beautiful night cream.
- Coconut Oil: I like to put coconut oil on my feet and cover them with socks. My feet are so soft when I do this. I also put it on my hair ends and finger nails. Coconut oil is basically the best thing for a beauty routine.
- Prayer Journal: It’s super important to reflect on the day. I write down what I’m grateful to God for and where I struggled. I find both are necessary I really like to write this in my bible binder.
- Planner: I inevitably come up with a million things that I’ll need to remember the next day. So I have my bullet journal and blog binder with my desk ready for notes.
- Reading and Tea: I make myself a cup of chamomile tea with a squeeze of lemon, and sometimes a bit of honey or agave. I curl up in my chair next to my candle, with my tea, and a spiritual book. I don’t read novels before bed because they tend to keep me awake, even after putting the book down. If I read a spiritual book, it gives me something to contemplate while I’m trying to fall asleep. Right now I’m reading the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.
- Yoga: When I have a lot of time I like to do yin style yoga. In this style, I get into a position and stay there for a long time. In class, it’s between three and five minutes. Doing it at home, I stay in the position for as long as I can. If I don’t have a lot of time, I’ll do a quicker bedtime routine. Before I forget, I do this by candlelight only. It helps me relax and get into sleep mode.
- Finishing Touches: The last things I do are pretty simple and quick. I’ll turn on my fan because sleeping in a cool room helps one get to sleep. It also has a nice hum which helps down out some of the noise in the house. I’m a really light sleeper, so I need this. I also turn on my essential oils diffuser. I’ve been loving lavender and orange lately, but I change it up every so often. The last thing I do is blow out my candle. Then it’s time to crawl into bed.
My goal is to be in bed by ten, sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn’t. What is your bedtime routine? If you enjoyed this post, please consider commenting, subscribing, sharing on social media, and making a contribution to my Patreon.